

Thank goodness. It is March. This family is officially over February. Not going to say we don't have good moments, which I'll touch on as well, but seriously. Last year, Lena was at Childrens Mercy and this time Heidi. I keep telling mom and dad that means I am going next year. Mom says maybe we will just leave town next year to avoid the month. Ok, let me give you the info on what went down. I woke up complaining of leg pain for a couple of days. Mom said it was probably growing pains. It didn't hurt all the time, so that sounded good to me! Until it didn't. Grandpa McLain came to town for a visit (and to watch Amelia play some basketball) and the pain really got stronger and stronger. I don't think they all believed me because sometimes I was OK. But dad took me to Childrens Mercy urgent care (visit 1), they took an X-ray and said I was fine. Then the fevers started, and boy do they make me feel bad. So a few days later he took me to the ER (visit 2). I did not like it there. They took my blood, which I have discovered is the worst thing ever. They said I was sick, but that it was 'something viral in my leg' and sent me home. A few days later, despite mom giving me medicine around the clock I still felt bad so the doctor sent me in to get blood tests again (round 2). Not long after getting home, we got the call that the blood tests were worse and we had to go to the big hospital downtown. From here on out the number of times I was shot is more than I can count. Mom says at least 15 by the end of my 8 day stay there. So it turned out I had an infection in my femur bone and knee. The doctors think I got the staph infection from an open sore on my other knee, basically I had really bad luck. But here is the good thing, they figured out what was wrong and what was needed to fix it. The bad thing, lots of sticks, a couple MRIs, 24/7 without leaving my room (I had to be fever free for 24 hours to walk the hall on my floor, and that didn't happen til day 7)Actually Childrens Mercy was pretty awesome and they were all really nice (well except the blood people). But when I felt sorry for myself, my mom reminded me that the other kids on my floor who had cancer were there even longer. Luckily the medicine will fix mine and in time I will be back to normal. I have 5 weeks of these oral antibiotics 3x a day...so it will still be a while. ![]() |
| mom and dad's sleeping quarters |


Enough of the medicine. Let me tell you, this hospital was pretty great. They had a lot to try and entertain me, even being stuck in the room. And on top of that, I have pretty amazing family and friends who showered me with so many lovies and crafts. I had visitors, even my preschool teachers.I really did feel special and loved. So thank you all for that! The only thing better (besides not being there of course) would be if they would have let Amelia come visit me. They had a rule because of all the sicknesses that no one under 12 was allowed to visit. So we were left to only Skype...and well, that really didn't go well either. It would just make me more sad. I wasn't doing so great with the separation either. I mean we have NEVER spent more than a day away from each other and I got SO lonely for her, especially at night time. I mean we have slept together for like 9 months. I may have come down to cry and see daddy a couple times. But the bonus for me was I got to spend time with Grandma Elmo for a while, then nana and papa came down. So we got to see all of our grandparents in a couple week period. Sweet. Also, Shelly came and got me and let me hang out with Zach and even let me join in a fun trip downtown with them and I played with Avery and Rowan next door a lot. It was nice to have other things to keep me busy while she was away.



A video, not for the faint of heart, and it is long, but a feel for what every blood draw was like (just sound).
Ok, now lets move on from hospital days. I finished my first season of 5 on 5 basketball. Not going to lie, it was tough. We were an already short, 1st grade team playing 2nd graders. And boy are they tall. Dad says we better get shopping because apparently I'm growing a foot next year. Anyway, needless to say we didn't have a winning record, but we were not totally defeated, so that's something. I loved having daddy for a coach and am told that I am getting better. Dad likes my dribbling, passing, and defense skills....I like it when I score! My best game was scoring 10 of our 16 points. I had grandpa McLain there for my only win and Elmo watched our last game, so that was cool. Check out a couple videos of my skillz!
We had one more snow that we got to go out and play in - you know for a day before it all melted. Ridiculous. Where is our winter?! Oh wait....it is now almost Spring time.

We implemented a date night plan. We get to take turns every month going on a date with mom or dad. Heidi got January and she had fun playing games with dad. Mom and I did our date at a nail salon in February. And now it is already March (geez, seriously need to post more often). Mom likes to remind me that her and dad should get to mix one in every once in a while too! On that topic, we did have other events recently that would typically warrant a date night. Valentines day. I was so sad to miss my school party because of being sick, it really sucked watching Amelia go through all her stuff from school. But my teachers were nice enough to bring mine to the hospital, so that was cool! Check out these cool shades I got from my godmother, Siera! :)

Talking - mom is super happy that I finally started saying mama. Geez, I didn't realize it was that big of a deal, I could have done that sooner. My vocabulary is now at Nala, dada, mama, uh-oh, and ball. For some reason they giggle when I say ball.

Let's see what else. I still take claim to mom, how you ask? Well I like my hand down her shirt - like all the time. She doesn't see the same appeal. Hey, don't knock it until you try it. Actually, wait. do not try it, that is my claim and I will let you know. Just ask dad and Heidi, I let them have it. I have lots of love to share as you can see!

![]() |
| Ok, Heidi will do too |


![]() |
| Just comforting sis when she wasn't feeling good |

A couple other random pics: Family card night, we love playing games. We enjoyed watching the Olympics, as you can see I want to be an ice skater if I get to be in them one day. Actually, I want to swim in the summer Olympics.
And a photo shoot with us all wearing mom's old dresses!

Amelia and Heidi OUT
























No comments:
Post a Comment