Let me start off with just saying 2020. You see....I keep telling mom how excited I was for this year. I mean, 2020 sounds cool. And I turn 10 - double digits! Well, let's talk about just how wrong I was. 2020 is awful and pretty sure it will be forever remembered as a bad word. Mom keeps telling me it isn't THAT bad. We get to spend a lot of good quality family time. But come on. We are in a GLOBAL pandemic. There was a toilet paper shortage, we have to wash hands ALL the time, we have to wear masks everywhere, lots of people are sick and lonely. Yes, mom it IS a bad word. I will admit though....while looking thru pics, I know there were a LOT of things that got cancelled, but we have had some good times in the past 8 months. Not sure how I am going to recap everything, but here goes my best for some highlights.
First of all. The Corona virus. I have discussed my dislike for this thing so many times. I was introduced to it on Friday, the 13th (March) no less. This was our last day of school and when mom and dad decided that we probably shouldn't take our spring break trip to Arizona to visit Grandma Elmo. Then EVERYTHING started shutting down. We never went back to school. We only spent time with our family. They never opened up pools for the summer (you read that right. We didn't have POOLS. All summer!).

So many things were cancelled, but we have fit in any activities that we could. I mean we needed something! Heidi is out of gymnastics indefinitely (let's keep it real - the gym is likely where she got her staph infection - not the cleanest of places, so she will have to wait till post Corona-lypse to go back there!) But she did join me in softball this year. I played the spring season and then decided to do fall season as well. Heidi played on my fall team with me. Yeah, I was a bit nervous to play with 4th graders, but I think I did ok. I still have not got my home run. If I do, I get to go to Disneyland. Although...I have actually saved $500 over these past 4+ years to go back. But go figure when I finally saved the amount needed Disneyland is closed. And dad says that California is so nuts that when this Corona is done that we will go to Florida (which he did not want to do), just because he doesn't want to give "crazy California" any of his support. Anyway, off subject. I also did get my 2nd season of volleyball in. I am glad I got to play, but it was a bit crazy. We didn't get to practice, outside of some practices in people's yards, and games were limited to 1 spectator. It's not as much fun without fans. I guess we just have to take what we can get. 2020.

School. I mentioned that we never went back after Spring Break. Well we kind of did, it was just virtual. It was OK though. We got to do some fun projects and PowerPoints and lots of yoga, go noodle videos. We thought that virtual school this fall would be the same. But it ended up being 7+ hours on our iPad in 'class'. We did not like that at all. Yeah, my eyes hurt and it was really frustrating writing on the iPad and trying to do all the different programs. So after a few weeks of that we convinced mom to let us do in person school. We didn't initially want to go because the idea of wearing masks was not what we wanted. But really, I kind of forget I'm wearing them. It's not so bad. And even though things are REALLY weird (like I get only a couple friends to play with at recess, talk to in class, etc... and we sit so far from each other at lunch, we have to walk one way in the halls - which sometimes requires a 10 minute walk to go to the class next to us), I'm still happy we are going. Yes, Heidi - I agree. I think that mom and Lena did not quite share the same level of excitement as us though. So far, we are still going to school in person, but we will see how long that lasts. My mom made us write journal entries in the spring. Here are just a couple of her favorites that I found when trying to find pics.









![]() |
| This was our 1st time leaving the house. we created masks with an old t-shirt |
I feel like dad has been training for the whole quarantine/pandemic thing his entire life. I really think it is his jam. Go figure he is the only one of us that gets to leave the house. Because you see...he is 'essential' so has to go work while most people work from home. After a time we let our guard down a bit seeing some friends and family. And low and behold we were 'exposed' by Siera and then dad got it. Luckily minus his loss of smell, he wasn't too bad. But we were quarantined for 28 days in August. Like hard core saw no one. To top off that, we started our kitchen remodel the day he got it. I know, right?
While that all sounds bad. There was a lot of good. As I mentioned, kitchen remodel. I personally had a lot of fun watching and putting my 2 cents in all the design ideas. I didn't much love the loud pounding during online school, but we survived. And now I am loving all the extra space. We don't get stuck trying to get by the refrigerator. Lena loves all the room to run around. I love helping it stay nice and clean. Yes. Cleaning is my thing as of late. Especially when I just want a break from people. I like to go clean and organize. My parents seem to like it (well everyone does, as my sisters get away with doing nothing). Dad also did some work to the living room during this year (opening up a door way, re doing a fireplace), so now the only room he has left to do is their bath. Otherwise, he has touched the whole house. Now I just got to keep getting mom out shopping so we can decorate! Here are just a few of the pictures of all the before.

So many things were cancelled, but we have fit in any activities that we could. I mean we needed something! Heidi is out of gymnastics indefinitely (let's keep it real - the gym is likely where she got her staph infection - not the cleanest of places, so she will have to wait till post Corona-lypse to go back there!) But she did join me in softball this year. I played the spring season and then decided to do fall season as well. Heidi played on my fall team with me. Yeah, I was a bit nervous to play with 4th graders, but I think I did ok. I still have not got my home run. If I do, I get to go to Disneyland. Although...I have actually saved $500 over these past 4+ years to go back. But go figure when I finally saved the amount needed Disneyland is closed. And dad says that California is so nuts that when this Corona is done that we will go to Florida (which he did not want to do), just because he doesn't want to give "crazy California" any of his support. Anyway, off subject. I also did get my 2nd season of volleyball in. I am glad I got to play, but it was a bit crazy. We didn't get to practice, outside of some practices in people's yards, and games were limited to 1 spectator. It's not as much fun without fans. I guess we just have to take what we can get. 2020.

School. I mentioned that we never went back after Spring Break. Well we kind of did, it was just virtual. It was OK though. We got to do some fun projects and PowerPoints and lots of yoga, go noodle videos. We thought that virtual school this fall would be the same. But it ended up being 7+ hours on our iPad in 'class'. We did not like that at all. Yeah, my eyes hurt and it was really frustrating writing on the iPad and trying to do all the different programs. So after a few weeks of that we convinced mom to let us do in person school. We didn't initially want to go because the idea of wearing masks was not what we wanted. But really, I kind of forget I'm wearing them. It's not so bad. And even though things are REALLY weird (like I get only a couple friends to play with at recess, talk to in class, etc... and we sit so far from each other at lunch, we have to walk one way in the halls - which sometimes requires a 10 minute walk to go to the class next to us), I'm still happy we are going. Yes, Heidi - I agree. I think that mom and Lena did not quite share the same level of excitement as us though. So far, we are still going to school in person, but we will see how long that lasts. My mom made us write journal entries in the spring. Here are just a couple of her favorites that I found when trying to find pics.Holidays and Celebrations 2020 style:
Easter - The bunny at least came so we got to find our eggs and baskets! Then we set up some of our own hunts in the yard because we couldn't go to any per usual. One day, Heidi and our neighbor Avery decided they wanted to be able to at least talk so they used their eggs to get 6 ft from each other and sit and talk (we have since started playing with neighbors a bit more...I mean 6 months
We celebrated both mom and dad's birthdays in May. At home - COVID style. You know...order some take out. Hang at home, etc. I think they are just happy to get another year.
4th of July: Boy was that a roller coaster. I mean it is my favorite holiday (well after Christmas) we always have our party and it is so fun. Now everything has been getting cancelled, but I was so happy that our city was finally doing something for us and still going to shoot off fireworks. And they were, up until the day before. And then boom...not the fireworks. They dropped the cancelled bomb. Just like everything else. Apparently we can get sick watching them too. In an impromptu effort to appease us, dad said we could make another trip up to Hartington. We had gone up in May for a quick celebration of (Dr.) Siera and Ryan's graduation. This time we watched some pretty fireworks...and it was warm enough for some boat time. I love driving the boat. And I LOVE Jack. She seriously does. She talks about how much she loves him all the time. I think maybe because he let her drive the boat with him? Who knows. Kind of funny though, since she used to be so afraid of him! I like that he is SO strong. He held me while we surfed behind the boat. How cool is that? I'll put some pictures (and hopefully videos) up of it. It was so fun. It is so nice that Matt and Jack take us out. I love the tubing! I also just love swimming in the lake! Oh yeah, I failed to mention when we were quarantining with dad's COVID, Rhonda was nice enough to set up her camper for us. So we spent lots of days just camping as a family. There were not very many people at the state park, so we had the lake to ourselves to swim and did lots of the usual. Riding bikes, playing cards, etc. I loved it. Personally, I think we should do a trip for like a whole month!
In addition to our trips up north. We did get a few other getaways in over the past 6 months. We went south to Bentonville, AK for a hiking heavy trip and visit to see my BFF Ava and her family. We had a lot of fun playing in the creeks with them. They like to try and catch bugs, crabs, and other gross things. But I'm ok with that as really anytime I get to see Ava, I'm happy.
We also got to take a trip to a cool resort in Branson right before school started. It had 3 pools and in the biggest one we got to watch a 'dive-in' movie (get it?), Moana. They had fun slides, mini golf, and lake activities. And when we left, we went to a place where we could do a go-karts and bumper boats. Things felt somewhat normal, and I loved it.
Ok, now just for some pictures of what most of our days consist of around our house and in the neighborhood. Lena has made a track in backyard with her green truck. She goes around and around at least 50 times each day. Actually she drove the 1st green car so much, that it died. Luckily our friend Henry outgrew his, so Nathan (my Best Friend) hooked her up and got her back in business. Yes, I love Nathan. And Jack. I tell mom this all the time. I then remind her I love her too.....but I love them. Also, Siera gave me a drivers license, so of course I have to drive that green car. I have also got really good at my balance bike. I borrowed a mini one from another vertically challenged friend, Zane. But I now grew enough to use the one Heidi used. I love riding it. Mom says we are waiting till next Spring to go on my regular bike without training wheels. At least you get to ride a bike Lena. Mine broke back in August and we still haven't fixed. I'm not sure if I am going to get through birthday's on this blog or not. But grandma Elmo got all 3 of us scooters for our birthdays and we ride them ALL the time. They were the perfect presents - especially since I can't ride my bike. Other things we did were... puzzles! Lots of them. And games. I love puzzles and playing cards. Especially Euchre and Kings Corner. Spa days, legos, walks, cooking, tree climbing, the list of home activities does go on and on....









I know the blog is long. But before we finish this go round I am going to tell you about me. And my birthday. Because I'm 4 now. I know, so BIG. Well Ok, the doctor said that I am not all that big. What? I'm trying to eat my protein! I'll put in my birthday video so you can see about all of my favorites. We were full on quarantined for my birthday, but they were still nice enough to make it special. There was a big light up 4 that our neighbor let my mom borrow to surprise me. It was cool! And then, they got cookies with my favorite (tigers and leopards). I love playing with and/or acting like a leopard so they knew just what to get me for a theme! And let's not forget. Nana, papa, Rachelle, and Rhonda (the H-crew) came to celebrate her birthday (and watch my last softball game with the Bombers).
You will notice, once I get updated with September on blog...that the H-crew, doesn't miss a birthday! And I'm there for it! I will leave you with that teaser. And start on the next blog which will have me and Heidi's birthdays and the 'after' pictures for the house. That will keep you coming back, right?!
Amelia OUT!










































































































































No comments:
Post a Comment