Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Marley & Me

Well, Marley and Us....not just me, I guess.

Marley is with Jesus.  I keep asking where Ya-Ya is and then I remember that mommy and daddy told me that she is now playing with Jesus.  Mom cries a lot and tells me that we won't see her anymore.  I'm not too sure what that means.  Because this is a hard subject, I decided I would let my mom guest blog on this one.

This has been the toughest few days of my life, I am not going to lie.  As many of you know, Marley has had issues for quite some time now with diarrhea.  We have visited with 3 or 4 different doctors and  tried multiple things (foods, medications, etc).  Especially in the past few weeks when things really started to get bad fast.  Our Marley just wasn't the same, she at one point stopped eating and had lost 30% of her body weight.  We finally gave in the recommendations of many including the vet who had a long conversation with me about 'quality of life' and our options last Wednesday after another rough night on Tuesday.  Phil was up with Marley all night as she went out non stop to continue to have bloody diarrhea (actually both inside and outside), had continual tremors (they say a sign of pain), and at one point she didn't even have it in her to go inside on her own, so Phil had to carry her in.  She then preceded to throw up while in her kennel.  In the end, they believe that it was either cancer or Crone's disease...neither of which would allow Marley a happy future. I write all this, to remind myself just how miserable she was and that we haven't had the old Marley for quite some time now.  As I have had overwhelming feelings of guilt mixed in with the extreme sadness I have missing her every minute of the day.  I think of her when we are outside, cooking, eating (yes, we now have to sweep!), or just hanging out.  Phil has been a rock, he was the one that was with Marley at the end.  And she gave him final kisses before she peacefully went to 'sleep'.  


Speaking of sleep, I want to share a few of my favorite memories of our first baby.  Sleep was probably one of her #1 favorite things to do, even when healthy.  We always joked she was part cat.  But really, she just fit into our family perfectly as we all love to sleep.  Phil and I first brought her home before we were married, so she truly has been through everything with us.  Marriage, 2 houses, and 2 kids!  

She was such a trooper from the get go, handling road trips to Nebraska and being dragged around by the nieces.  She was SUCH a kisser, she LOVED to attack people laying on the ground and stick that long tongue anywhere she could...she particularly loved noses and ears!  Or Phil would just yell "Help me Marley" and she would find me and start licking me.  (Never sure how that helped Phil!)  We enjoyed many a walk, but even at a young age she would sometimes just lay down on those hot days, and just look at us...like "someone better pick me up, because I'm done with this walk business".  And when she didn't get walks and needed to exert some energy (or after a bath), she would have her spaz attacks.  They were hilarious to watch.  She rarely got in trouble, but when she did (i.e. chewing up red pen all over apt. carpet),  We would just say "What did you do?"..and she would lay down on her back with paws covering her face, saying I'm sorry.  

She was AMAZING with kids.  I think that is what makes me so sad too.  She was so good with Amelia, no matter what she did with her.  She never walked better than when Amelia was holding her leash.  I hate that Heidi only had 1 month with her, and realistically Amelia won't remember much, if any, of her ya-ya.  

Phil keeps telling me that things will get better each day and our tears will be less and less frequent.  And we will then just remember the good times and not have the extreme sadness, but that there will always be a place in our hearts for our dear dog.  We decided to honor her today by planting a lilac bush in the back.  Not that Marley was sweet smelling or had some certain infinity for lilacs, but they are a symbol of love and there is no doubt that Marley was loved by many.  


My dear Sweet Marley, we were so blessed to have you in our lives even if only for 5 short years.  Here's hoping that I do see you again one day as the poem below states and that until then you are keeping other people's feet warm, getting lots of sleep, and enjoying lots of bacon and steak.  

Love mom.

RAINBOW BRIDGE
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 
Author unknown...


Marley - July 17, 2007 - November 7, 2012

Instead of putting all her pictures on here, I have a lot of the favorites in the video below.  Along with some favorite videos we took of her.  This is really just so I have everything in 1 place, I'm sure you all don't want to see them all.  Sorry you had to put up with me pouring out here...helping with the whole 'closure' thing!  I will not hijack anymore of their blogs!




No comments:

Post a Comment